Daffodil

Daffodil
14 foot 1967 Williamscraft trailer

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Out In The Open

With all of the progress being made in Daffodil's restoration, it was time for her to come out of her winter home for awhile so her roof could be put back on.  Her winter quarters weren’t tall enough for this job, so she needed to come out of hiding and enjoy a little sunshine. 
Coming Out of HidingShe didn’t have her ‘face’ on yet but her roof had to go on before she could have her front finished.  Here she comes.  Forward. . .
Out in the Sunshine And then in reverse – into the driveway where the work will begin soon.
Backing InA good friend offered to help my sweetheart.  That made my sweetheart very happy because doing this job alone would have been quite difficult.  First they had to check the roof piece very carefully.  There were a few things that needed adjustment. . . Checking the Roof Skin And then they very carefully picked it up. . .
Pick Her UpAnd put it up on top of Daffodil.  That hole in the middle is where the roof vent goes.
Up and OverOnce the roof piece was up on top of the trailer, it took a lot of work to secure it in place.  Everything  had to be just right and it had to be nailed down before the front ‘skin’ could go on. 
Roof OnIt seemed like Daffodil was really starting to' bloom'.  You may think I'm  silly, but I love the round corners on the front.  I began to have the feeling that it really wouldn’t be long and my dreams would become reality.
Roof On 2 After the roof was secure and everything was adjusted just right, it was time to put her new front skin in place.  I stood and watched with joy as we finally began to see her exterior personality immerge again.
Front Skin Going OnYou can see that there is no window opening in the new front skin.  After it’s in place and tightly attached to the framework, my sweetheart will cut the window opening through the metal.  You have probably noticed that the bottom of the front skin doesn’t match the top.  The bottom piece is a tooled, stippled piece of aluminum that is placed there to handle rocks that fly up from road surfaces as she travels.  It’s called a rock guard.  The old one took a lot of hits over the years and it looked nothing like this beautiful new piece.  Next Spring when the weather is dry and warm enough, all of Daffodil’s parts that are gold now will be painted yellow.  That’s why I’m not worried about the old roof in contrast to the new front skin for now.  While the men were working on the front of the trailer I just had to go to the back and take another look inside.  I hadn’t seen her interior with sunshine peeking through her windows.  At the top right of the photo you can see the inside opening for the roof vent that will be matched up with the opening in the metal roof.
Looking InsideAnd I had to take another look at the little bit of floor my sweetheart had uncovered to show our friends when they came to visit.
Looking at the FloorSo much more has happened since I took these photos just a few days ago.  Please come back soon and see what she looks like now.  And I’ll let you in on a little secret!  I think you will be pleased – and amazed. 

3 comments:

  1. I know you can hardly wait for the end product but even now it's fun to anticipate - almost like the birth of a new baby! :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! I am looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's really coming along, it is so exciting to see a better overall picture of what she is ultimately going to look like!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to see my little vintage trailer. I would love to hear from you. Unfortunately, because of comments that weren't in keeping with the spirit of my blog, I have disabled the opportunity to leave anonymous comments. I'm sorry others made this decision necessary.