Daffodil

Daffodil
14 foot 1967 Williamscraft trailer

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Beginning Again

What I am about to show you – and what I share with you in the days ahead – is a new beginning for Miss Daffodil.  You’ve seen her early days after we brought her home.  Over the next few posts you will begin to see what has happened to make her look the way she looks today.

What was supposed to be cosmetic changes became something much bigger.  My sweetheart was working on her one day when he came in and asked, ‘Do you want the bad news or the good news?’  ‘You know I don’t like that choice,’ I said.  ‘Just tell me!’  He went on to tell me he had found a puddle of water in the closet.  He did a bit of inspection.  When he pulled off a piece of the paneling he found that Daffodil had wet ceiling joists that appeared to be ‘soft’.  Wet wood is never a good sign!  ‘So what’s the good news?’ I asked.  The good news?  ‘You know that paneling you really didn’t like?  Well, you are going to be able to choose what you want.  We have to take it all off!’  So, my friends, Daffodil isn’t a thing of beauty yet – she’s not what she was - but one of these days she will be a winner!  The roof sheeting had to come off so my sweetheart could inspect and repair the problem.  The real problem was that the old caulking that had been used in the past had dried out and cracked.  The cracks let water in when it had rained!  So, now it was time for a new beginning – a detour on her road to beauty.  Remember the roof  I showed you here just a few days ago?  The roof that my sweetheart so meticulously caulked and sealed shortly after she came home?  Well, it had to come off.  All of it!  The first thing that had to be removed was the front window so he could access the roof sheeting.  First came the trim that was on the edges. J Rail Comes Off When the trim was off, the seams and the old caulking were exposed.Old CaulkingNext, came the front window.  It had to come out because the front sheeting overlapped the roof sheeting! In order to take the front sheeting off, the window had to come out first.Working on the WindowIt wasn't long and, with a little help from me, the front window was out.  Front Window It’s amazing the difference a window makes!Missing WindowThe nameplate and the front lights were next.Name PlateThen, trim on the other side of the front panel came off and it was time to remove the nails that held the front sheeting piece.  One thing led to another!More Trim Comes OffWhen the trim pieces were off and about a million old nails had been removed, the front panel was released.Coming Off While my sweetheart worked on Daffodil, it was obvious that our ‘up-front supervisor’ was asleep on the job!Asleep On the JobBig changes were made, one piece at a time, and by the end of the day I saw a smile of satisfaction on my sweetheart’s face.  Smiles for a job well done!  The beginning of the next phase had begun!  Smiles Through the WindowPlease come by again soon.  There’s so much more to show you.  This was just a new beginning.  It get’s ‘interesting’ and I think you will be amazed to see the process.

10 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, taking it apart has to be scary! Thank goodness he is a "handy" man with tools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little Daffy! Oh, she's really getting a redo! I'm just amazed at all of the taking apart. I'd never get her back together.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have one handy man there Adrienne! Isn't he wonderful to do this for you!? It must have made your hearts sink a little to think of all that tearing apart, but I know you'll have her back together and looking better than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine how disappointing it was to discover this major, unexpected problem. So glad your hubby knew just what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, he is so smart. lol at the supervisor. I know you are going to have a beautiful new Daffodil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like he is doing a great job! Bet he is a perfectionist! Nice hobby for him in his retirement. Exciting!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so exciting to watch!! I can't wait to see what comes next! ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, this reminds me of when we remodeled our FREE tent trailer! You start to work on it and one thing leads to another, and wham! You're in over your head! Daffodil is lovely Adrienne! And I think between you and your honey you'll make her shine again! Lots of work, but well worth it! How about making that triangle window, into a heart shape???
    Love, and hugs,
    Marilyn
    Oh, by the way my new email is meb752@whidbey.com I'd love to her from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot of work but also lots of progress..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - so impressive that your husband knows how to do this stuff. I'd love to re-do a trailer but I'd have no idea where to start.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to see my little vintage trailer. I would love to hear from you. Unfortunately, because of comments that weren't in keeping with the spirit of my blog, I have disabled the opportunity to leave anonymous comments. I'm sorry others made this decision necessary.